Monday, March 8, 2010

Life-giving Reading

I had the joy recently of going to a "Mom's Heart" conference by a grace-filled woman named Sally Clarkson. She has written several books on motherhood that have greatly inspired me. She has 4 children mostly grown now and does several conferences every year.
One of the highlights of my time there was having Sarah Clarkson (her oldest child - 25) sit next to me during the luncheon. Quite an unexpected blessing considering there were around 500 women there! I had bought Sarah's new book, Read For The Heart, a few weeks before the conference and loved having an opportunity to chat with this young woman who radiated grace, peace, hope and a zest for life. I highly recommend her book and it has inspired us to embrace the beauty and benefits of reading more fully in our home.
We are doing Just David as a family read aloud book every evening and I have been reading Strawberry Girl to the girls at bedtime. I love exposing my kids to book that look at lives different from theirs and help them see that this life is a HUGE adventure and that their God and Creator has great adventures in store for them!
I am reading Greg Mortenson's Stones into Schools on my own. I highly recommend his first book, Three Cups of Tea, and am sure this one will be equally inspiring at what one person can do with some conviction and determination.

3 comments:

Krista said...

OOO, my sister-in-law gave me Three Cups of Tea a couple years ago and I haven't seen it in awhile as it keeps getting passed around!
I can't wait to read this next one either!

Megan said...

I still have my old copy of Strawberry Girl from an elementary school book order...love it!

Mandy said...

A group of us has gone to the Sally Clarkson conference the past couple of years. I love it. We also just finished Strawberry Girl. :) What fun.
Your website caught my attention b/c I saw your Gotcha Day title. We are just celebrating our first Gotcha Day this week. I recognized Tisha, so we both must have gone through AGCI.
You have a beautiful family!